[AccessD] Moderator Message

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:43:34 CDT 2009

>  I guess I just don't understand why everyone seems to have this
> fundamental belief that because it's on the Internet, it should be free to
> them. Someone somewhere needs to foot the bill for services provided.
> TANSTAAFL.

=======The Cobb Group had a marketing site, but no freebies or anything like
that. I remember a woman fussing at me over the phone -- "Where's the free
stuff???" She actually said those words. I had to be diplomatic, but I
finally said, "If the journal was online for free, would you pay a
subscription fee?" She couldn't answer that one...

The amount of free content is astonding and if you know how to search right,
you can get good information -- it takes time and effort though. There's no
magic button, as yet, for getting the right set of links at the top of the
search results.

If EE makes a profit, or even if it doesn't make a profit, but manages to
pay its bills and its employees, then it's a viable business -- it's value
is based solely in the hearts of those who use it. If you don't value it,
don't use it -- while I hate shopping, I prefer Wal-mart to K-mart.

>  But from my viewpoint, the history lesson seems clear; like any business,
> you need to make money at it or it withers and possibly dies.  Face book,
> unless they decided to start charging folks (which they have been
> considering), will be another major player to go that route just like a
> lot
> of other sites that disappeared during the .com bust.

=========Had to completely rebuild my client base after the .com bust. I'm
rebuilding again.

>  Sites can't survive on advertising alone.  They need to charge, and
> charge
> enough, or they won't be around.

=========They can and many do, but it isn't easy. You have to provide the
right product at the right time, have a huge and regularly-visiting
audience, and find the right advertisers. No small feat.

Susan H.