[AccessD] DevConnections interesting notes

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Aug 12 12:21:53 CDT 2009

Hi Jim,

Go for it (DevConnnections in Las Vegas in November this year) if you/your
company have some bucks to invest in the near future mainstream of MS shops
development (I'd go too but I'm leaving top far from Las Vegas :) Well, the
main issue is absence of needed resources to invest...)

I'd guess that:

<<<
... complete rewrite of Visual Studio (VS 2010).

Is mainly about

"The new WPF-based Editor in Visual Studio 2010"
http://www.redmondpie.com/the-new-wpf-based-visual-studio-2010/

As a consequence (I guess) VS2010 gets a new customization/extension/add-ins
development technology, which will allow to present different sources used
in VS2010 projects, by using rich WPF features - here is one example how a
list of Solar System planets can be presented graphically by using WPF
transformations:

"The Power of Styles and Templates"
http://bea.stollnitz.com/blog/?p=40

<<<
... C# will get ... features of Visual Basic and vice versa

Yes - based on .NET 4.0 Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Language_Runtime )...

"C# 4.0 Features" (some new ones )
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/CSharp4_Features.aspx

...and DLR "...makes building a new language implementation ridiculously
easy"
http://listeningtoreason.blogspot.com/2008/02/net-dlr-makes-building-new-lan
guage.html

I'd also note that C# is getting more and more Ruby features (again thanks
to DLR),
and VS2010 will also hopefully get long awaited IronBuby 1.0 release:

http://ironruby.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=27606

and a new version (2.x) of IronPython:
http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython

(although I'm not sure I will have time to learn/use them in development)

VS2010 will also get TPL(Task Parallel Library) and PLINQ:
"Going Parallel with the Task Parallel Library and PLINQ"
http://www.developer.com/net/print.php/3827326
"Samples for Parallel Programming with the .NET Framework 4"
http://blogs.msdn.com/pfxteam/archive/2009/05/20/9633116.aspx

(that is important feature - I have just recently programmed a
multi-threaded app for my customer and PLING will makes such apps running
much faster)

Also "F# to ship as part of Visual Studio 2010"
http://blogs.msdn.com/dsyme/archive/2008/12/10/fsharp-to-ship-as-part-of-vis
ual-studio-2010.aspx
".NET Framework 4 Poster"

The new features of .NET Framework 4.0 can be found in:
http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2008/10/29/net-framework-4-poster.aspx

Thank you.

--
Shamil

P.S. BTW, originally VB4.0, and then VBA (in MS Access 95/97) got dynamic
language features (late binding) using rather different from DLR technology
- you know it - that was/is called Common Object Model (COM), we use it
every day - it still drives MS Windows Systems, and we all know rather well
some of its negative consequences as, e.g. "DLL-Hell"...