[AccessD] OT: It may be time to stop hating Microsoft.

Paul Rodgers paulrster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:08:55 CDT 2009

The point is, Charlotte, that Microsoft circulate snoop software that gets
onto your computer without your authority, and without asking you. If you
don't install WGA, it just keeps appearing every time you start (or
restart). It's somewhere among the startup programs, but you won't find it.

Of course, that's nothing compared to what happens if you do accidentally
install it. So many forums talk of the absolute nuisance it becomes through
alleging legitimately bought software is pirated. It harasses the owner
every time it starts, apparently.

The conservatives among us will say, 'Well, if you have pirated software on
your machine, you have only yourself to blame.'

But detectives don't suddenly walk into your home on the off chance that you
might have something you shouldn't have. The taxman doesn't just stroll in
and look through your computer.

There MIGHT be some empathy if it was being done by a company that was
against the wall through so much of its software being pirated. But this is
the biggest, wealthiest company in the IT world, owned by the richest man in
the world, acting as no other organisation and no democratic country can.
And, Charlotte, we made them wealthy, and him the wealthiest. Yet we, the
computer user, is treated appallingly and undemocratically by them.

So my point is that before we start loving Microsoft, they should deserve to
be loved. In my book, WGA is proof that they don't deserve it and nor do
they deserve our support.
Cheers
paul