[AccessD] OT: Elevator Speech

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed Aug 26 12:36:46 CDT 2009

Hi Jennifer,

You start out with, "I know exactly how to help you make more money.  What
we'll do is . . ."

It sounds a little hokey, and they may smile because they know you're trying
to get their attention, but you do have their attention for the next minute
or so.  The next part is crucial - you need to begin talking about their
business in terms they understand, and they want to hear examples that they
can relate to, and want to know, at least later, how much more money they'll
make.

To do this you'll need to know, before talking with them, the basics of
their business.  If you know the typical problems or bottlenecks or issues
they may have, you can describe how you've helped another customer with
something similar.  Try to say what the problem was, how things work now
after you helped, and say it in terms the business owner can convert into
money.  Like, "Now they can handle this with their permanent staff instead
of sometimes having to quickly find someone temporary to get it all done."

If you have good relationships with your current customers, you could ask
them how they would describe how you've helped them to one of their business
colleagues.

Don't talk about databases or programming - eyes will lose focus!  Say, "I
can make a system/software/package/tool ..."

Good Luck!
Dan