[AccessD] Drew - Help on TreeView Please

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Aug 31 17:04:25 CDT 2009

LOL, yes, actually you can't 'bind' a treeview to a recordset.  So it is
an unbound control.

There is a difference between a node in a treeview and a record in a
table.  With a record in a table, all of the OTHER fields are readily
available if need be, where as a node doesn't contain a 'record', on the
displayed text, picture (if used) the Key and the Tag.  So making the
Key more meaningful makes them easier to work with.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 4:57 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Drew - Help on TreeView Please

 >I will use a 'natural' key of sorts, which makes the node key more
meaningful (and useful in later
code).

OMG don't tell me you are going unbound at the same time!

;)

Drew Wutka wrote:
> No problem.  I just sent you the fix off list.  Correcting this
> particular error showed two more issues which I fixed too.
>
> Ironically, the issue wasn't technically a treeview issue.  However it
> did relate to how I personally use treeviews (so my example used this
> method).  The nodes of a treeview have to have a unique key. So if you
> have ten thousand nodes, each node 'key' must have unique to the other
> 9,999 nodes.  With a table, you would use an Autonumber, however, with
> treeview branching out, I will use a 'natural' key of sorts, which
makes
> the node key more meaningful (and useful in later code).
>
> For example, let's take names:
>
> 1  Bob
> 2  Dave
> 3  Tina
> 4  Drew

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.