[AccessD] Dual monitor laptop

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Wed Dec 2 16:56:49 CST 2009

1) ...after developing severe cts (all the way into my neck, doc recommended
severing a wrist tendon) I switched to a Logitech track ball set up for my
left hand ...took a few minutes to get used to it ...the track ball sets on
a well padded arm of the recliner I do all of my home/office work from
...the arm and wrist rarely move in using it ...the cts disappeared within
days with no surgery and no recurrence ...the only time I use a regular
mouse these days is when I need extra fine mouse control for graphics work
...I also found that once the cts was gone, I could use the track ball
easily with either hand when work in a clients office necessitates such.

2) ...I now do ALL of my work on a Dell laptop ...it has an ATI Radeon
Graphics chip set which allows me to use a 21" wide screen external monitor
as my primary and the laptop's 15.6" screen as the secondary ...or turn it
off ...the ATI detects if the external monitor is present at startup and
switches profiles accordingly.

3) ...I use 1024x768 as my development screen standard because that is the
lowest common screen resolution among current clients ...I use a screen
resize code module to resize every form and control to fit the client's
current monitor resolution without having to make any other changes ...same
form design works well from 1024x768 to at least 1680x1200 w/o any
distortion or blank spaces as long as the form was developed at the lower
setting ...it will resize down to 800x600 but the quality is not as good
when resizing down.

4) ...I still prefer a kvm switch for server monitor purposes ...while RD
works there is simply nothing easier than pushing a kvm button to switch
monitor views imnsho.

...in short, get a recliner with padded arms, get an adjustable stand
(http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/779380/Zarty-II-Laptop-Cart-35-1/)
that will slide under the recliner and over its arms (this one is spec'd for
11lbs but it holds my 21" monitor, laptop, and accessories just fine, and
get a good track ball ...Riley never had it so good :)

William