[AccessD] Import errors from Excel

Collins, Darryl Darryl.Collins at anz.com
Mon Dec 7 17:00:01 CST 2009

"in Access as 5-digit numbers"

If Excel is reading converting the date text into actual dates, the
underlying value will be a 5 digit number.  If you are then upload that
date into Access without forcing into a date format (even IF IT IS a
date format in Excel), it is likely to be imported as a 5 digit number.
If you re-export this number to excel will can re-read it as a date,
although you would be far better off loading it into access as
yyyy-mm-dd format to enforce date compatibility.

Excel often tries to be 'helpful' when reading text and values and will
auto convert stuff for for.  This is often a right PITA and can cause
major problems.  I wish Excel would let me do the thinking and it can
focus on mashing the numbers.  Bah!

If you need help on how to load dates into Access from Excel using ADO,
email the list and I can post some samples for you.

Regards
Darryl.