[AccessD] Access security

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:47:12 CST 2009

The only time I've had a need for real data security - a payroll database -
we decided that the easiest method was to use the existing network
security.  It was truly secure and easily modifiable as needed by the
network administrator on site.  So I just made two BE databases for the FE;
the confidential BE was on a drive only accessible by payroll personnel, the
'open' BE on a publicly accessible disk share.  The FE to confidential BE
linking code would just exit gracefully if it failed.

We password protected the open BE as well, just to keep out the curious, but
a couple of weeks after implementing this I had a conversation with one of
the (electrical) engineers there.  He told me the password and asked why
we'd bothered!

Doug