[AccessD] Zip+4?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 11 11:50:25 CST 2009

William,

Correctly handling the postal services requirements is a non-trivial task.  The process is called
CASS and NCOA.  CASS stands for Coding Accuracy Support System.

http://www.nextmark.com/glossary/definition.jsp?glossaryTermId=a0800000000EqQrAAK

What is essentially does is to verify the addresses against USPS supplied database (which changes
quarterly), and if a given address passes CASS it means that the address represents an actual
deliverable address.

NCOA stands for National Change of Address, and it has its own requirements but in general the USPS
wants all addresses CASSed and NCOAed no more than 90 days before use to qualify for bulk mail
discounts and such.

NCOA states that a specific person moved (no longer lives at the previous address) and may / may not
supply the current address.  NCOA is a much more nebulous thing than CASS simply because people may
or may not live at an address at all, may have moved and not filed a COA, may have lived there but
moved years ago etc.

I am heavily involved in CASS / NCOA, and in fact I am able to provide such processing if desired.