[AccessD] Find First in an Array?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 20 15:01:44 CST 2009

Rocky,

I was not addressing anything other than the "assumption" that was expressed that certain tables
"would be in the FE".  If you as the owner / developer want them there that is all that needs to be
said.

In MY systems I never place such tables in the FE.  If I were to "purchase" or other be placed in
charge of your systems, I would move the tables to the BE.

Remember though that I DO cache my "rarely modified / often used" data so it does not matter that it
is on in a BE on the server.  It will cross the wire only once per form per user.  Thereafter it
will almost certainly be as fast or faster than a local FE table.

To address your question:

 > In my case, where the 'data' is really static, and is needed by each user, wouldn't the design be
better with the language tables in the FE?

This is one of those things that is purely opinion, and often near religious in conviction, and I do
not want to start a religious war.  Some people wholeheartedly believe in placing such things in the
FE.  I wholeheartedly believe otherwise.

Often a belief is created in the distant past when we make a decision of some sort that sways the
argument in one direction or the other.  We often then stop "thinking" about it and simply "believe"
it.  If enough time passes, we may completely lose track of why we even believe something.

In this case I would guess that those who place such tables in the FE have either never thought of
or considered caching it, or considered and rejected it.  In those cases having it in the FE solves
a speed problem.  Now these people have "solved" their speed problem and the "reason" fades into a
belief.

I started using data caches some time ago and, while I never used data tables in the FE even before
that, having the cache simply makes the FE Data Tables concept a non-starter.  In all other respects
(IMHO) having data in a BE is the accepted practice.  Since my caches solve my speed issues I truly
do not need them in the FE.