[AccessD] A Design Opinion, Please

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 24 06:38:22 CST 2009

They are definitely a mixed blessing.  On the one hand they automatically design combo boxes for you
as you drag and drop a FK out onto a form.  Thus they can make said combo consistent throughout your
application, including sort fields and orders.

Likewise you can see the FK text values in a query without pulling in the FK table and specifically
using that text field.

OTOH it is now difficult to see the actual PK values of that FK table without specifically including
the table in the query.  And if the FK table ever goes away or changes field names the application
starts to break.

I think they are of more use to the neophyte and more a pain to the experienced developer.