[AccessD] Make Multiple Selections on a Form and Create a Record for Each

tinanfields at torchlake.com tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Feb 27 12:22:06 CST 2009

I hope the subject line isn't too confusing :)

Here's the situation:  volunteers fill out a paper form indicating which skills they have and at
what level (1 to 3, with 1 being high).  When this database was built (1999), the developer crafted
a macro that added one record for every possible skill (32, so far) to the table of volunteers and
skills.  The data-entry person then went down the rows, clicking the ones that were to be selected,
and entering the skill level number.  This results in lots of empty records.  Since then, the
database crashed and the macro no longer works anyway.

I want to craft a form with a checkbox for each skill and a drop-list of the skill-levels, so the
data-entry person can click the checkbox and select the skill level - then click a button that will
place one record for each skill selected into the table of volunteers and skills.  This gives the
data entry person the same ease of entry, but does not create lots of empty records.  I saw
something in the ADH that captures the number of selections made, and I'm guessing I need to start
there, but I could sure use some inspiration on this.  If three skills are checked, I want three
records entered for that volunteer in the volunteers and skills table - each one referencing one of
the selected skills.

Thanks for any ideas.

Tina