[AccessD] Scrum (was: Find First in an Array? ...)

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Feb 28 08:43:15 CST 2009

Hi Gustav and Fellow Listers,

Yes, the response on my proposal is a bit discouraging but I'm continuing preparation here for the conversion project of MS Access NorthWind sample app to .NET WinForms.

Yes, Gustav, we can try to do it just with you but SCRUM/agile process needs a little bit more team members - at least 4-5: if doing this project by using just your and mine efforts it can be done agile way but not SCRUM, and it will take more time, and what is most important it will not show advantages of working as a team - and the advantages in this case is not only joining the efforts and skills - the main advantage is to experience how teamwork influences one's own views and insights - and it does influence then very effectively - I mean that - I have just experienced that during CSM course in Helsinki. Even participating for years in great dicussion lists as this AccessD one do not change one's stereotypes and (conservative) ways of thinking as SCRUM/agile teamwork does...

I plan to keep preparing SCRUM/agile infrastructure for the Northwind conversion project within the next week - in my plans is to setup DNN site - first step is done:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/dnn49

nothing except registration there yet but it's up&running - I "just" need to add some DNN modules - do not know how to do that yet - plan to do that within the next week - I can keep posting SCRUM related info on this site as well as we can have wiki board on it to have "daily stand-up meetings" as well as I can setup newlist on it to have everybody registered and subscribed to this newlist informed on what is happening. Of course it will be forwarded here - the best woudl be to have separate SCRUM%Access-D list but it's probably too early?

I'm also evaluating this software

http://www.targetprocess.com/Product.aspx

to have our project tasks and their completion progress status easily manageable and viewvable by every team member. I also expect (they talk about integration with CVS but I haven't yet evaluated how it's done) this software will allow to keep distributed source control for the team. This software seems to have a free community edition and if that is true then I can install it on my ASP.NET hosting web site.

Please everybody interested help me to evaluate how useful it is for our purposes.
If you can find any better ASP.NET alternatives that woull be very useful.

I persoally like a lot this Team Taskboard of SCRUMWorks software:

http://danube.com/sw_flash/feature/features-team_taskboard.html

but this software is JAVA based and a "black-box" for me - I'd not use it because of that.

I'm currently spending considerably more than one hour here to prepare all that - I can't ask to spend that much time you or other AcceessD members but when everything ready I'd propose to strickly keep the context of spending not more than one hour (5 hours total per week) for this project. Well, maybe some more time discussing here how it will be proceeding...

I'd set 9th of Macrh 2009 as the start date for this project - OK? - if nobody will join us by that date we will try to do it together with you. Everybody are welcome! If to not participate in this project by doing some simple .NET forms design/program then at least to help us to evaluate how much this or that feature/task will take to get implemented. This is so called "estimation using planning poker cards" - http://www.crisp.se/planningpoker - doing such an estimation by two people could result in not so good results as when it's done by 5 or more people.

Here are some links on SCRUM/agile and related issues - I will keep posting links like that to get convinced some more AccessD members to join our project:

Tobias Mayer - my facilitator during SCRUM course there in Helsinki:
http://www.danube.com/blog/tobias_mayer/

Agile software development info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

Scale Back: Small is Beautiful - how group evaluation/planning results in simple but very good results:
http://agilethinking.net/blog/2008/08/18/scale-back-small-is-beautiful

Extreme Scrum (154KB)
https://www-927.ibm.com/ibm/cas/archives/2007/data/Agile/Extreme_Scrum.pdf

What happens when we are all connected - Future Views
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqPs0xuG39Q (~6 min)

"Only 3% of the world is on broadband today, and it's neither cheap, fast or mobile enough. This will change in the next 2-3 years, and the implications are huge: everyone shares, everyone networks with strangers-like-me, everyone co-creates, everything is connected. A video by Futurist and Author Gerd Leonhard"

Working on SCRUM/Agile infrastructure here/expecting for more AccessD to connect this project...

Please comment on this my posting - all and every comments and contributions are very welcome!

Thank you.

--
Shamil