[AccessD] Back End Bloat - Revisited

McGillivray, Don [IT] Donald.A.McGillivray at sprint.com
Thu Jan 1 17:11:23 CST 2009

Hi Gustav

Got it.  I checked a couple of tables and it is off for them.  I've never set that switch for any table, so I'm guessing that "off" is the default position.  Looks like that feature relates to replication, and there's none of that going on with this database.

BTW, the BE that is giving me fits holds meta data related to text files containing data produced by other systems.  This same app is attached to another BE database that collects summarized data from those text files.  This second DB receives data only (no updates to records) and grows at a rate that appears closely tied to the rate at which data is added to its tables.  This leads me to think that the bloating trouble that I'm having with the meta data BE might be related to the updating of existing records that the app does.  I understand next to nothing about how Jet manages the database, but does this hunch square with the normal function of Jet?  I would have expected bloat to occur in the front end, because that's where all the code, queries, etc happen.  Why does the BE experience bloat in the sort of arrangement that I have described?

I appreciate your willingness to share your expertise with me (and all of us).

Happy New Year!

Don