[AccessD] File name & path characters

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 11:50:18 CST 2009

This is a heads up for people who use hyperlinks to files.

I've been checking fields that are used in file names and paths for illegal characters and strip out the usual slashes, back slashes, question marks, colons, asterisks and such and that's been working great.  Nowadays, people are getting lazy at the keyboard and using @ when they mean 'at'.  This hasn't presented a problem with file names and paths as it is a legal character in a path, except when you try to hyperlink to a file that has this symbol somewhere in it.

A procedure we use generates Word doc invoices filed in a location and with a name based on project name.  It concurrently logs each invoice in an Excel worksheet by month.  The sheet saves the invoice number in a cell with a hyperlink property that opens the Word doc but of course, where there is an @ symbol in the project name, the hyperlink fails to open the file.  We have other means of quickly retrieving the file, but the Excel sheet is a simple file we can send to anyone in accounting who doesn't have rights to our application.

At a result the procedure that strips illegal characters will be modified to henceforth also strip the @s.  Other characters have been replaced with hyphens but maybe this one will be substituted with the word 'at'.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com