[AccessD] A tricky query, for me!

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:16:46 CDT 2009

I would create 4 queries.

The first 3 are totals queries

Query 1 just selects all the categories and groups by that.

Query 2 selects only the hypermarket items including any that overlap
with the supermarket items

Query 3 selects only the supermarket items including any that overlap
with the hypermarket items

Query 4 pulls them all together. It's input are the first three
queries with outer joins from query 1 to query 2 and from query 1 to
query 3 both on the category field and both saying "give me all the
records in query 1 even if there are no matches in query 2 or query 3"

Then in the results grid of the query design screen you include the
category name from query 2 and from query 3 and you should see them
side by side with blanks on the side that doesn't apply for that
category. If you want a the category to display for every line, use
the one from query 1 too.

I hope that makes sense.

GK