[AccessD] Using a VM/VPC

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jul 27 05:12:58 CDT 2009

Pct of memory is going to depend on how much memory you have and what you are going to do with the
VM.  For example I have a server which I use for running one specific piece of software multiple
times.  This server is pretty much dedicated to that functionality.  I have 16 gigs of ram on the
server and each VM requires about 3 gigs to run correctly.  Thus I give 3 gigs to each vm for 12
gigs total out of 16 gigs.  For this specific situation that is what is required.

OTOH I have another VM which I run on my Vista development laptop.  Its function is to provide me
with a Windows XP environment, running things like Office 2007 and express edition 2008 software -
experimental stuff that I don't want affecting my dev environment.  For that VM I only give it a gig
of ram (out of the total 4 gigs).

You really have to first determine how much memory is required for the software run on the VM,
including the specific OS run on the VM.