[AccessD] Using a VM/VPC

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jul 27 11:41:36 CDT 2009

True as far as it goes.  it is possible to map a partition on the host machine as a drive on the
virtual machine, in which case the vm is writing directly to that partition of the host machine.

I do that for my application server.  I needed a very fast drive to act similar to a ram disk,
blazing read-only in my case.  So I bought a high performance Flash drive, created three partitions
on it (one for each vm) and then mapped those partitions as drives for the VM.  thus each vm has its
own physical partition out on the flash drive on the host.  To the VM it looks just like a mapped
drive.

Since the host can see the drive and its partitions, applications on the host can write to those
partitions which is a no-no of course.  At least I THINK it is a no-no.  It seems like it would be a
simple way to pass data between vm and host but AFAICT the VM and host see these partitions
differently, i.e. neither can see what the other writes, but writes by the host corrupts the
structure of the vm's drive.