[AccessD] 2007 over 2003

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jul 29 05:26:40 CDT 2009

Rocky,

Where they come in handy is that they can be "played" anywhere.  Take the virtual machine, place it
on a usb hard drive and it can be used on your laptop, attached to your desktop, at a friends house
etc.  Of course you have to have the "player" installed on the host machine but the ability to move
the vm can be a godsend.

As I mentioned previously I use a specific program to do address validation for a client.  I do so
much of this and it takes so long, that I have a server pretty much dedicated to that purpose.
But... the license is machine specific.  So over the years, as I upgraded machines to make them
faster, I would be moving the software from machine to machine.  A royal PITA because I would have
to call tech support, actually talk to someone there, read them a new string of characters for a
specific machine config, and get a new key.  Same drill again if I needed to move the software again
(which I did many times in several years).

One day it occurred to me... place it in a VM and just move the vm to the faster machine.  Voila,
PITA GONE!!!

Furthermore I was talking to the software developer about how long it takes to run my huge address
lists and he mentioned that I could install the software multiple times on the same machine.
Hmmm....  Copy my VM three times, run it on the same (physical) machine... license issues obeyed,
multiple installs on the same (physical) "machine".

The VM just solved two HUGE issues I was having... moving the installed software as my hardware
changed, and legally running the software several times on the same machine.