[AccessD] I want one

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jun 4 11:30:40 CDT 2009

That was one of the reasons I put up for running Vista.  Sure, it uses
more power, but putting DOS on a quad core Xeon processor with oddles of
memory, and huge and fast drives is like putting a Nascar engine into a
slot car!

;)

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:44 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] I want one

It is when you see a demo like that that you can understand the speed
limitations placed on our
computers by the storage.

The nice thing is that in perhaps two years the prices will have dropped
by a factor of 4 or so.
That will open up real possibilities for me.  ATM a 120g SSD is about
$400.  When that drops to $100
I can start building a RAID system that will make some of my work really
fly.

Now if the 4 gb DRAMS would just drop in price.  8(  Those have been
hanging out at $200 each
forever.  I need eight of them but who can afford that?

The truly funny thing is that each of us has a super mini computer
running on our desks - 19 1985 terms.

In 1986 I worked for a company that built super mini computers.  They
designed a custom machine,
built out of 4 bit slice processors to get a 64 bit machine.  They had
an entire card (2' x 2') full
of dims that was a mere 128 megs of ram.  They had programmers writing a
custom version of Linux
just for their new machine...  Selling these things for a cool million
apiece.

And my server has a quad core processor, each processor is probably
about 10 times faster and has
about 80 times more memory.

OTOH it is saddled with Windows, like a vampire... sucking the life out
of the computer...

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.