[AccessD] SSD on raid

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jun 13 22:25:52 CDT 2009

Here is the counterpart to the test results I posted before, this shows RAID 0 using the Intel raid
controller on the motherboard.  It would be interesting to see what a hardware raid controller would
add to the results.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=318&Itemid=60

All in all RAID 0 does what you would expect, increases bandwidth / streaming read/write speeds.As
soon as I get reimbursed for the hardware I have already bought, I will likely go do this with two
or possibly even three of these drives.  To satisfy my own curiosity I am going to try some real
world tests using SQL Server, with the indexes on RAID 0 hard disk and the indexes on RAID 0 SSDs.
I have big enough data sets to clearly define relative speeds.

I will keep you posted.

And... I still need knowledgeable responses to whether using RAID 0 is an OK thing to do for just
the SQL Server index files used as I have described.