[AccessD] Learning .Net -- PHP Instead?

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Tue Jun 23 00:30:41 CDT 2009

Jim,

I agree with you on the paradigm shift to web applications as opposed to
desktop applications. In most cases however, those coming from a
desktop-based environment tend to have a hard time transitioning because
desktop apps tend to grab all of the data at once since there is often no
need to take into account accessing network resources and all processing is
done on the local machine. With a web-based approach one has to understand
the client-server interaction.

A good approach would be to find someone who is good with computer graphics,
CSS, HTML and page layouting. When I worked on the Roxy project
(http://www.roxy.com/designabikini), I worked with a good buddy of mine who
took care of converting the Photoshop design files (PSDs) into HTML and CSS.
I then converted the controls to ASP.NET controls and we use Visual
SourceSafe for version control collaborating over the web.

The tougher piece of the puzzle has to do with browser data flow and
understanding how all the dynamic magic takes place. I'm currently working
with David Emerson on a project where he takes care of the Access desktop
version of an application he designed and developed and I took over the web
version development. It's quite an involved process but I believe that we've
been able to demonstrate that the process works (right David?).

Eric

P.S. Shamil, you like ESET's NOD32 as well I see?