[AccessD] Learning .Net -- PHP Instead?

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 17:43:44 CDT 2009

Ideally, I would agree with you. But practically, I don't.

One's choice of language is partly personal, and as Shamil commented, partly
determined by your local market.

If you are pursuing web programming, it makes little sense to cover the same
ground twice by learning two backend languages. I think you are better off
to master one, and spend the extra time learning CSS, AJAX, Javascript,
Flash, security, etc.

I think the choice is fairly simple:
Do you want to learn a language that enables you to do both web and
Microsoft-oriented business projects? If so, a .NET language is a natural
choice.
Or, do you want to learn a web language that offers ubiquity of deployment
across all web platforms? If so, I think PHP is better.

Either path will be rewarding, but they are different paths.

-Ken

(Jim Lawrence)