[AccessD] VMWare vm NIC no longer works

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:19:45 CDT 2009

I have a VM that I have been using for months.  I turned it on this
morning and it can't see the network, can't browse the internet.  The
windows firewall was turned back on.  It had downloaded a windows update
and rebooted just before the issue started, though I had not tried to
use the VM before rebooting, IOW I powered on, it downloaded the
updates, rebooted and here we are.

The NIC was complaining that it was being issued an IP address that was
already in use.  However I then manually set the address to a known free
address, and while it shows packets being sent / received, it still will
not allow firefox to browse, nor the virus detector to download updates.

Other than the object rollback, any ideas?

I so hate this stuff.  It often feels like I spend more time keeping my
systems working that using them to get work done.