[AccessD] SQL Server - Turn field list into string

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 06:50:57 CDT 2009

I have learned how to do this with a cursor, however now I need to learn
to pass cursors.

I perform this action the first time when I take the difference in
fields between a base data table and a view with criteria.  I want to
get the criteria fields, whatever they might be, and append them to the
tblOrderData.  However... I then go on to do some processing, and then
later need that same list of tables.  The problem is that by then the
base tblOrderData has the fields added to it so there no longer is a
difference in fields between tblOrderData and vOrderCriteria, so I can
no longer get that difference.  For this reason I need to get the cursor
in the first step, then hold it open and pass it off to other stored
procedures later on.

I have never looked at passing a cursor to a stored procedure.  Is a
cursor a data type that I can just pass in and out of a stored procedure?