[AccessD] William region DUPLICATION: was Re: My daughter Allie in the news

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:21:42 CDT 2009

Mike,

In fact there are two different genetic disorders.  In one a section of
genetic material is deleted, i.e. they only have a single copy of that
set of genes.  The other is where a section of genetic material is
duplicated, i.e. they have THREE copies of that set of genes.  Williams
Region Syndrome is the deletion disorder, where they only have a single
copy.  Allie has the DUPLICATION disorder called Williams Region
Duplication Syndrome.

http://louisville.edu/psychology/mervis/research/dup.html

The Williams region (named for a doctor that studied the syndrome in the
60s) is a set of about 25 genes on one of the chromosomes.  Allie has a
duplication of that entire set of 25 genes.

Williams Region Syndrome (deletion) was diagnosed in the early 60s,
although I am not sure when genetic testing became available to discover
the cause.  Williams Region Duplication has only been discovered in the
last three years which is why it is so "rare".  There is a new testing
tool that became available three years ago that can now find
duplications in general, and so duplications of many different regions
are beginning to be discovered.  Doctors have theorized "from the
beginning" that wherever there is a region that is being deleted, there
will be people with that same region duplicated, but they have never had
the tools to be able to detect the duplications.  Now they do.

Williams Deletion syndrome occurs in 1 per 20,000 births, so it is in
fact rare. However Williams Region Duplication is not necessarily more
rare (they don't really know yet), it is just undiagnosed so far for
most people who have it.

It turns out that at least in the Williams Region, a duplication has
milder symptoms than a deletion.  In fact, Williams Region Duplication
adults are being discovered because through genetic testing their
children are being discovered to have the syndrome, and when it is
discovered that their children have this syndrome, the adults are then
tested.  Some adults have virtually no symptoms, never even realized
that they had any problems.

Williams Region Deletion syndrome has pretty severe symptoms including
low intellectual functioning, heart problems and other medical issues.

The biggest study of Williams Region Duplication Syndrome is being done
by a group of doctors at the University of Louisville Ky.  These doctors
have been studying the Williams Region Deletion syndrome for many years
and have about 500 people enrolled in the study.  Because of the numbers
they have been able to discover patterns of symptoms including severe
heart problems.  Because there are so few people diagnosed so far with
the DUPLICATION syndrome, they don't really know what the symptoms are.
The same doctors at Louisville have started a study of people with the
Duplication syndrome, and until this weekend had about 25 people in the
study.  We took Allie to Louisville this past weekend to be enrolled in
the study, and met 3 other families of duplication syndrome children
(one of which was already enrolled).  The study gained 3 new children
(including Allie) this weekend so they are up to 28.

In the end it will be years before they really get enough Duplication
people in the study, and of course enough time tracking the people, to
discover patterns of symptoms.  Basically at this time they don't know
much, but they do know that the symptoms do not appear as severe as for
the Deletion syndrome.

So Allie is lucky to have the duplication rather than the deletion.  She
is in for a rough ride but she is a very happy child with a personality
that draws people to her.  Everyone in her whole school knows and loves
Allie.