[AccessD] FMS Article on the new features in Access 2007

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Mar 19 17:48:49 CDT 2009

Ironically, I just moved my laptop back to Vista.  When I bought it
(almost exactly a year ago), it came with Vista.  Being an IT guy, I
figured I might as well have something with Vista on it, to get used to
it.

First thing I ran into a problem was that Office 97 wouldn't install.
Well, I have a TON of 97 .mdb's, especially ones with web interfaces, so
I had to have Access 97.  I use Virtual PC a lot, but I didn't want to
have to bring up a virtual machine every time I needed Access 97
(because it happens a lot, and usually isn't planned....).

So I immediately wiped my laptop, and went with Windows XP.

Now back in December, I replaced 4 SCSI drives in my main desktop, with
4 SATA drives.  On my main work desktop, every since Windows 2000 came
out, I've run a Server OS on my desktop, so that I could mirror my C
drive.  I had bought all the components and built this current desktop a
year ago (right before I got my new laptop), and it's motherboard had a
SATA Raid controller on it.  So in December, when I put in my SATA
drives, I realized that I no longer needed a Server OS to have fault
tolerance on my desktop drives.  So I did a striped mirror (giving me a
320 gig fault tolerant drive (4x 160 drives)), and I thought to
myself...hmmmm, I can put any OS on here I want, and it's even a 64 bit
processor!

So I installed Vista Business 64 bit, with SP1.....and WOW!

Turned of UAC.  That is a pain, but it's not hard to turn off.  Had two
software packages I can't install, Toad (for our production database,
which I'm not in charge of, so I hardly use Toad anymore anyways, and it
was the 64 bit part, not Vista, that was the issue) and our Hours
program (old dos based program, crashes with the 64 bit...don't care,
can use it in a Remote Desktop session on our terminal server when I
need it once a week.).

Things I like about Vista:

Performance!!!! I can be actually using my desktop in about 30 to 45
seconds after I hit the power button, and a good 15 seconds of that is
the BIOS booting up (can't seem to get it not to try the network boot).
Once I log in, it takes about 5 seconds to get a desktop and once that
is on the screen, I can start working, while vista is loading everything
else.  With almost no delay!

File transfers:  You can click 'more details' when you are transferring
files, and it will show you how much is left to copy, in actual size.
Very nice.  I do a lot of big file copies, and that's handy to have.

The look:  Having a visual representation of how much drive space you
have is kind of nice.  Aero is pretty slick, especially if you have a
video card that can handle it.

Sidebar:  I have some handy gadgets, and with Windows Key - Space bar
bringing the sidebar up to the front, it's very handy.

Much more intuitive:  On my laptop (which I just put Vista back on this
weekend (because Office 97 will install with vista SP1), when I
installed Palm Desktop 6.2 (for my Palm TX), to sync with Bluetooth was
a simple checkbox, no setting up a virtual com port, etc.

Searching:  The Vista search is very powerful!

Vista OS native capabilities: Burning data to CDs\DVDs.  Speech
Recognition.  On my laptop, to connect with a VPN while logging in is a
snap.

Now....Access 2007...that's a different story, played with it few a few
minutes, and wiped out that virtual machine....

;)

Drew