[AccessD] William region DUPLICATION: was Re: My daughter Allie in the news

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:14:42 CDT 2009

So which is off topic, getting all mushy or the long post on Williams
Region Duplication syndrome?

;)

Allie and Robbie are both lucky kids, to have made it out of the foster
care system relatively unscathed, and as young as they did.  Both were
placed in foster care early, Allie at birth (with us) and Robbie at 3
months (biologically unrelated).

Robbie was removed from his mother's care for failure to thrive at 3
months - sadly he was starving to death because his mom was an addict
(and other problems).

Mary and I were brand new foster parents in Connecticut.  We got Robbie
as our first placement when he was 16 months old.  He had originally
been placed with a "professional" foster care person who had about 100
kids over 20 years and just burned out.  When we got him he didn't know
what a hug was.  Nine months later we got Allie straight from the
hospital at 3 days old.  Robbie just loves his little sister and of
course Allie idolizes Robbie.

It took about 2.5 years for the court system to terminate parental
rights for both of them.  By then Mary and I had been mom and dad to
them for pretty much their entire life so the state asked if we wanted
to adopt them, and we ended up adopting them on the same day, which in
itself is pretty strange.   God works in mysterious ways!

Mary and I are lucky to have them, they are both just delightful little
people.

Of course we are OLD and kids are a LOT OF WORK!  ;)