[AccessD] FMS Article on the new features in Access 2007

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Sun Mar 22 23:41:43 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 4:33 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] FMS Article on the new features in Access 2007

Charlotte,

 > That and anything I can't change to a classic style so I can find
what I'm looking for.

This is what I dislike the most.  I have Vista installed on my laptop
and have used it for about two
years now.  And I still hate it.  Everything is moved, everything is
wizard driven.  Just give me
the damned control to do things.  I know what is happening under it all,
it is mostly exactly the
same stuff, but there is a layer of CRAP over everything preventing me
from directly getting at it.
  And the CRAP is not an improvement.

>>This is a matter of taste.  I thought the same thing from 2k to XP.
2k, everything was more 'technically oriented', you needed to know what
you were looking for to use it.  XP 'dumbed it up', so if you preferred
the direct approach, you had to switch the control panel to classic
view.  However, on the plus side, if you get used to the interface,
there are some advantages.  If you have a laptop, the windows mobility
screen is pretty handy.

Go to the desktop.  Right click. A "browser looking" thingie comes up
with a ton of different things
I can do.  All I want to do is change the display settings.  So I click
Display settings.  A
"display settings" dialog comes up but it doesn't have all of the stuff
right there, I have to dig.

C'mon already!!!

>>It just switched the tabs to links.....whether you like it or not is a
matter of personal taste.

Open explorer.  What the HELL is this thing?  I come up in Documents
inside of JWColby.  I am
CONSTANTLY minimizing documents so that I can even SEE jwcolby so that I
can minimize that so that I
can see my system and the disk drives.

>>Not sure what you mean by this, try switching the default folder
views.

C'mon already.

I didn't ask for this!!!

Where in the heck is the NIC stuff hidden?  I have to search for ten
minutes EVERY time I want to
look at that stuff.  It is buried down three levels in a completely
unfamiliar looking dialog.

>>I was a little confused by this at first, but actually, it's not too
complicated.  Just click the icon, and read the windows.

Why does my Win2K3 machine's browser service find all the machines on my
network just fine
(including the vista machines) but the vista machines ONLY find each
other reliably?

Go to Programs / Accessories.  Where did Communications go?  Where did
entertainment go?  What is
the point of rearranging these very common menus and hiding this stuff
somewhere else?

>>This may be an IP v6 issue.  Try turning that protocol off.

It is the same old "let's make it so simple that a 5 year old can use
it", but... it takes 17 layers
of crap to make it that simple so that NOBODY can figure it out any
more.

It is just frustrating!  And I have been using it for a LONG time now!!!

Part of the problem is that I continue to use Win2K3 for my servers and
XP on other machines, so I
continue to see and use the old "do it yourself" interface, which just
makes it more jarring when I
have to go do the same thing on Vista.

I am reasonably certain that if Vista was all there was I would learn
how to do things "the Vista
way" and eventually be fine with it.  In the meantime I just want the
Vista way to go away.