[AccessD] SERIOUSLY OT: Re: An Interesting question

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Mar 30 12:20:58 CDT 2009

 From a physical science perspective, light is a measurable quantity, a number of photons of a given
frequency.  Absolute (visible) darkness does exist (in caves) and is zero photons of any visible
frequency.

Of course when discussing "light" you have to discuss the eye and what frequencies can be seen.
Infrared is "light", it is photons of a frequency below(?) red.  But it cannot be seen.  Thus it can
be absolutely dark (in a cave) and yet there can be infrared "light" (heat) photons bouncing around.
  Likewise ultraviolet.  Just because we cannot see them doesn't mean "there is no light".

In fact that is the whole point of a bunch of the sensors on telescopes, to allow humans to "see"
frequencies that the eye cannot perceive.  And of course night vision goggles sense infrared and
convert that to a frequency that our eyes can see.  By shining an infrared light, night vision
goggles can "see in total darkness".

So "darkness" in its most common usage has a very specific definition based around what frequencies
the eye can see.