[AccessD] Form Corruption, Part II

Janet Erbach jerbach at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:40:01 CDT 2009

Hello, all -

I have more questions about dad-blasted form corruption.

EAT BLOAT
=============================
I tried using this on my back end database.  I ran the export function,
created a new database, linked all the appropriate tables, imported the ones
that were not linked, and then imported my forms.  At this point my database
was 110 MB (after a compact and repair) ...just as big as it was before I
tried to de-bloat it, and I hadn't even brought in queries, modules, or
reports yet.  I stopped the process, and re-installed my app using the
installer that comes with it.  (54  MB).  After running some custom code I
created to import my customizations, my backend was still only 62 MB.

Was I doing something wrong with EatBloat?  It did end up being a worthwhile
exercise for me, because I learned that I can shrink my backend down by
re-installing things from scratch.  But I'd like to know if I was going
about it wrong for future reference.

Exporting to Txt
=============================
One of my complex forms went dead on me again today after I made a minor
change to the query source.  I couldn't open it, couldn't run it.  So I
deleted it, imported a back up from a few days ago, and copied all my code
from the 'good' form  into a text file.  I deleted the code and saved the
form;  since this was an embedded form, I did the same thing with the parent
form.  Next I did a compact and repair, then re-opened my detail form to try
once again to make the change to my query source.  Did that, saved it,
copied back my code from the txt files I created and...Kaboom.  It went dead
on me again.

What's the proper procedure for using txt files to try and salvage code from
a corrupt form?

Sorry for being verbose about it.  I really would like to get the demons out
of my form if I can without having to re-build it from scratch...

Janet Erbach
Natural Healthy Concepts