[AccessD] Enable ActiveX controls which Access 2003/2007 doesn't "support" (update)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu May 14 04:26:58 CDT 2009

Hi all

This is an update to the old thread from 2005:
Kodak Imaging and Access 2003 (was: Looking for TWAINocx)

It was about how Internet Explorer blocks many ActiveX (OCX) controls in Access 2003+.
The error message in Access is that "Access doesn't support this control" or that "object cannot be found" or a similar useless message.

So how to deal with this if the client upgrades and a long running application refuses to run?
On your machine 500+ controls may be listed but only by their GUID.
This excellent tool, ActiveXHelper, comes to rescue:

  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/axhelper.html

On Vista you, of course, have to run it as administrator.

In 20 seconds I had my old app using MS WinSock running in A2007 on Vista!

/gustav

>>> Gustav at cactus.dk 21-02-2005 12:22 >>>
Hi all

Found out why Access 2003 denies to load the Kodak Imaging controls and how to remove that blocking.
It is - believe it or not - because Access 2003 refuses to use ActiveX controls which for some reason are listed as insecure in Internet Explorer ... as explained here:

http://mail.localplanet.co.uk/Blogs/stuart/archive/2005/02/19/AccessActiveX.aspx

What it tells is to reset the Compatibility Flag for these entries to 0:

Kodak Image Admin Control
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\
{009541A0-3B81-101C-92F3-040224009C02}

Kodak Image Edit Control
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\
{6D940280-9F11-11CE-83FD-02608C3EC08A}

Kodak Image Scan Control
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\
{84926CA0-2941-101C-816F-0E6013114B7F}

Rich Text Control
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\
{3B7C8860-D78F-101B-B9B5-04021C009402}

/gustav

>>> Gustav at cactus.dk 20-02-2005 17:32:10 >>>
Hi all

I have done some testing with a sample app Neal kindly provided which uses the Kodak Imaging ocx controls.

It works fine with my old Agfa Snapscan test scanner - as long as I don't run it in Access 2003.
Whatever I do (references, late binding etc. etc.), when moved to A2003 it refuses to talk with the twain driver - it is as if A2003 expects a higher version or similar of the twain driver. Neither will the edit control activate in A2003.