[AccessD] SQL Server as a BE

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 19 07:14:26 CDT 2009

One of my old clients had a company migrate their database to SQL Server.  They were told they
needed to do this for HIPAA compliance, so that they could easily encrypt personal information.

Well... they told my client that they would never even know that it had happened and of course...
things are broken, which the company is now trying to blame on Access.  Bottom line, they are now
being fired and I am coming back to pick up the pieces.

I have only used SQL Server with small databases (which this is) and in those cases I used Windows
Authentication.  If they used SQL Server group / user can you give me a very basic rundown on how
this would work (general terms).  I understand the user / group metaphor, I have just never applied
it to SQL Server.

Inside of my existing SQL Server databases I use Windows authentication and my objects all require
dbo to access.  What happens if groups are used?

I do love the "learn under fire" scenario.