[AccessD] XNA game development

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Nov 23 07:57:41 CST 2009

Have you ever wanted to write your own little windows game.  Microsoft provides a free game
development framework called XNA.  It runs in C# express and everything is free free free.

It is designed to get you writing games for the XBox BUT... it can write games for Windows as well,
and in fact they are apparently interchangeable, once written they can be played on the XBox (but
not for free).

The best part is that they have a very basic cannon / flying saucer demo game with videos for how to
develop this game, all of the source code, sprites etc.  I have stepped through the first few
chapters and it really does start at ground zero.  They claim you don't even need to know C# to
follow the tutorial.

As we all know, writing a project that holds your interest is the best way to get involved and learn
a language.  If writing a game is your interest, this might be just the ticket to getting into C#.

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/gettingstarted/bg2d/chapter1