[AccessD] This is hot: WCF RIA Services

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 24 11:29:29 CST 2009

Hi Gustav:

Thanks for the heads up

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:51 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com; dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [AccessD] This is hot: WCF RIA Services

Hi all

RIA: Rich Internet Applications

<quote>
Microsoft WCF RIA Services simplifies the traditional n-tier application
pattern by bringing together the ASP.NET and Silverlight platforms. RIA
Services provides a pattern to write application logic that runs on the
mid-tier and controls access to data for queries, changes and custom
operations. It also provides end-to-end support for common tasks such as
data validation, authentication and roles by integrating with Silverlight
components on the client and ASP.NET on the mid-tier
</quote>

Though not explained at a place to find, what it does is automatically to
set up for you a web service which your Silverlight frontend communicates
with, and to establish the client side code that handles this communication.

http://silverlight.net/getstarted/riaservices/

Watch the 1-hour video "Introduction to WCF RIA Services" and combine this
with the racing speed at which Silverlight evolves, and it will erase any
doubt you still may have about browser-based applications.

Note too, that while this works in VS2008 and with Silverlight 3 it is
really aimed at VS2010 and Silverlight 4 both currently available as betas.

I attended a developer meeting a couple of days ago where we ran a similar
walk-through, and it was very convincing. This is exactly what I for years
have been looking for.

/gustav