[AccessD] Firday OT: What books do 8 years old kids reads and likes there?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 9 09:12:17 CDT 2009

Shamil,

The problem with recommended reading is that kids read at different levels, and perhaps even more so
if they are reading in a foreign language.  Are you discussing buying books in English for your son
to read, or books from the classics that have been translated into Russian.

I believe that part of my job as a parent is to select reading material that will keep Robbie's
interest.  Sure the classics are essential.  I'm not sure why exactly but I am sure they are.  ;)
However equally important to me is simply that my child enjoys reading and does so.  As long as it
is not harmful material, just the fact that he is reading provides the practice and the vocabulary
building that comes with reading.

As a child I read a set of books that were widely available back in the day which were short stories
from all around the world.  The child craft series of which this is one of about 20 or so in the
collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Childcraft-Folk-Fairy-Tales-1949-GREAT_W0QQitemZ290356320868QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item439a95da64

However I also read the "children's pulp fiction" such as The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and the like.
I read short story collections by the famous authors such as Edgar Allen Poe, Jules Verne and so
forth.  And of course the encyclopedia.

While it wasn't literature, when I was 8 years old the Hardy Boys was one of my favorite reads and
kept me with my nose in a book for hundreds of hours.

I just feel that to some extent it is the reading as much as the content itself which is important.
  As long as you provide a wide variety of material, the child can always select something that
interests him that day.

JMO of course.