[AccessD] Firday OT: What books do 8 years old kids reads and likesthere?

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 12:29:17 CDT 2009

Hi Shamil
I largely agree with JC that there are lots of great books for children
today without necessarily going back to the classics, but if it's classics
you want I'll throw in some suggestions from this side of the pond:

I totally endorse Conan Doyle, I galloped through every Sherlock Holmes
story when I was .... well probably a little older but if your son's a good
reader....

I also loved:
the Hornblower series by C S Forester - great naval adventure stories
C S Lewis's Narnia books
Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings (again a bit later though)
Wind In The Willows (K Grahame)
Robinson Crusoe (D Defoe)
Treasure Island (R L Stevenson)
Watership Down (R Adams)

I agree with Alice In Wonderland and Jules Verne too.

I (almost) guarantee that he'd adore the Winnie The Pooh stories. Not cool,
and he might not want to tell his friends, but they are impossible not to
love.

My kids devoured Roald Dahl's children's books which have become modern
classics. Terrific stories.

Another thought (I'm having fun here) is Antoine De Saint Exupery's The
Little Prince. Just wonderful.

I could no doubt go on but that's probably enough of my rambling.

Have fun

Andy

As regards The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature, I don't know it
and