[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Access2007 Question

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Oct 26 16:04:51 CDT 2009

I wouldn't exactly say throw in the towel.  I continue to do Access work, though I do it in Access
2003, not 2007.  If I ever get a client that dictates 2007 then I will go there but how many years
later, no such client.  I do expect it eventually though.

In the meantime I am learning C#.Net.  C# is much more powerful in many ways, and if future jobs
allow me to choose between C# and Access 2007 (or beyond) you better believe I will use C# rather
than Access.

I am a programmer at heart.  I love what a computer can do with code.  I am a database analyst
second.  In terms of PROGRAMMING capabilities, Access is in fact a "toy LANGUAGE" compared to the
.Net environment.  C#.Net and VBA for Access are simply not in the same league, and the .Net
capability keeps expanding whereas Access gives us... pretty toolbars and macros.

Many apps need a database, however IMHO NO app REQUIRES Access.  Simple apps MIGHT be faster to
develop in Access, I will not know until I am fluent in C#.  I have done enough complex application
development to know that Access applications can reach a point where expanding it further gets ugly.

We shall see where this thing leads us.  As I mentioned in another email, I fully expect to be doing
this stuff for at LEAST another 15 years maybe more.  I intend to be C# capable should that be a
better choice.