[AccessD] Access 2007 Question

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Tue Oct 27 00:40:07 CDT 2009

Hi Mark,

From: "Mark Simms" <marksimms at verizon.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:57 AM

> Steve - I don't quite understand the above.
> Why can't they translate much of the VBA by creating a Javascript library
> of
> functions and objects and then create a translator to convert the VBA code
> to Javascript ?
> They were able to translate VB6 to VB.NET, so why not VBA to Javascript
> and/or their new highly touted XAML ?

I do not know whether it is theoretically technically possible or not, to do
the kind of thing you suggest.  However, it's a pretty certain guess that if
it had been possible from a time/resources/practical point of view, "they"
would have done so.

> I think an Access 2010 app ported to the 'net stripped of VBA will be
> mostly
> useless.

An application has to be compatible with the web, before it can be "ported".
So nothing will get "stripped".  It needs to be built from the outset as
compatible - which means (among other mindset changes) macros.

Regards
Steve