[AccessD] Access 2007 / 2003 install shuffle

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 27 09:48:12 CDT 2009

I always install each version in it's own directory - just an old habit.

I use the quicklaunch toolbar a lot so I will put a shortcut to the 2003 version (if I use that
mostly) as well as a shortcut to the 2003 version with the /Decompile switch.  If I ever get to the
point where I actually use 2007 I will likely put a shortcut to that as well.  The icon is different
so it would be easy to visually determine the difference.

I don't use Access 2007 at all (yet) so under normal circumstances it would always be at the 2003
version.  That said, I will be using the 2007 version of Excel for this specific client - this
machine is in fact a SQL Server created specifically for that client.  I haven't tested whether
using Excel 2007 will trigger ACCESS 2003 to reinstall itself, though it appears to be an OFFICE
install so I suspect that it will.

I use Access 2003 a LOT on this machine - ATM it supervises (runs) all of my stored procedures in
SQL Server.  Eventually I will be rewriting that Access "supervisor" code out in C#.Net.