[AccessD] Access 2007 Question

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:22:02 CDT 2009

Hi, again. Some responses:

For me, one of the biggest arguments for VBA over macros is searchability.
You can't search macros or form and report properties. For large projects,
having all of the dependencies and interactions in code is a huge advantage.

Mark Simms:

> Why can't they translate much of the VBA by creating a Javascript library
> of
> functions and objects and then create a translator to convert the VBA code
> to Javascript ?

Emulating VBA in JavaScript is doable, but all VBA code in Access is
intimately tied to the Access object library, as well as DAO, ADO, etc. It
would be impractical to move such a huge amount of support functionality to
JavaScript, and infeasible to use it directly via remote procedure calls
against the real application on the other side of the internet.

> I think an Access 2010 app ported to the 'net stripped of VBA will be
> mostly
> useless.

Certainly for all of us old-timers who have Access/VBA projects that we want
to port. But for Access newbies, the ability to publish to the web through
SharePoint will be quite a carrot. Most will be more than happy to forgo VBA
to get that capability.

John W. Colby:

> In the meantime I am learning C#.Net.  C# is much more powerful in many
> ways, and if future jobs allow me to choose between C# and Access 2007 (or
> beyond) you better believe I will use C# rather than Access.

That's clearly where Microsoft wants everyone to go for serious development.
But the 'programming priesthood' of .NET excludes the talented amateurs who
could build a salable application with Access, but don't have a prayer of
doing the same in Visual Studio.

-Ken