[AccessD] Access Web Databases: Let the Wild-Eyed Speculation Begin!

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:35:06 CDT 2009

Mark Simms:

> Since Access COULD become a RAD webdev tool, it would seem that MSFT should
> at least permit a one-time conversion of existing forms and attendant VBA
> code to ASP/Silverlight/Javascript/CSS.

If Microsoft does this right, and allows their Access web forms to be
extensible by .NET, there should be a market for third-party tools to
convert classic VBA forms.

> >From that point, I could see a new HLL (high level language) in Access
> taking over for more refined web development. ...

The old forms VBA-driven events model was great for its time, but it really
is over-complex. Turning Access 10 macros into a simplified HLL with basic
code structures and a simple, web-friendly event structure would do for web
apps what the original Access did for desktop databases: make them
approachable by newcomers.

-Ken