[AccessD] OT: Icons

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Sep 7 08:52:22 CDT 2009

Doesn't work in most browsers - only in IE.

Webdings are good for putting on an Access Form or Report, but don't do it in HTML.

Here's a good explanation of why not:

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html

<quote>
For Windows, browsers such as Internet Explorer and Netscape 4 that are not standards-
compliant allow non-Unicode fonts such as Wingdings to be specified in HTML or CSS, to
enable additional special characters to be displayed. Specifying Wingdings font is contrary
to the published specifications, has never been a documented feature of HTML, is not
reliable, and should not be done. Wingdings is not available on all computers, and so the
intended characters may not appear on computers running non-Microsoft operating systems
such as Mac OS 9, Mac OS X 10 or Linux. The intended characters are also unlikely to
appear when using a standards-compliant browser such as Firefox, Netscape 6+, Opera 6+,
Safari 3+ or SeaMonkey (formerly Mozilla). The same problems are found with the
Webdings, Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 fonts - they should not be used in Web pages.
</quote>

--
Stuart