[AccessD] FW: Converting Access to SQL Server

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Thu Sep 17 06:11:50 CDT 2009

Hi Gustav and all,

They say on the page, which link you provided that they are:

<quote>
Developers of the only Silver Bullet Technology for migration of Microsoft
Access data and/or applications to Microsoft SQL 2008/2005
</quote>

I must say that when I'm hearing "Silver Bullet" then I'm becoming very
careful...

The subject tool seems to be a good professional automation tool and it
should be useful in some contexts but mainly as the first step of migration
of MS Access applications to MS SQL Server (+ maybe VB.NET/C# FE). There is
"No Silver Bullet" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Silver_Bullet ) -
accidental complexity we usually see in MS Access applications can't be
"magically cleaned" by automation tools. Bringing that "accidental
complexity heritage" from MS Access applications into converted ones being
still MS Access applications with MS SQL backends is as trying to tune an
old car to be looking as a modern one - in such a case support costs will
manyfold overweight "throw-away" modernization/replacement costs...

I can be wrong. I wanted to see (am I missing them?) some samples of
converted by "ConvertU2 Technologies" tool small real life or sample MS
Access databases and applications...

Thank you.

--Shamil