[AccessD] hosting a website in-house

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Apr 28 08:39:38 CDT 2010

I just need a reality check as to whether trying to host a website in-house is insane, doable, easy,
difficult?  If I did this it would be for my own web site (very low traffic), and would need to
include email (also low traffic).  If I lost internet (which I get over the local cable) then
obviously I would be out of commission for the duration of that outage.

I have been in this home / office for close to four years and have had only one single extended
outage (11 hours, due to weather).

I have a server that I keep up 24/7.  I have battery backup etc.  I run VMs and it seems like I
could put something like this in a VM so that I could move it to another machine if I had a machine
issue.

I am actively considering building a new server with 16 or 24 cores because it would be a big boost
for my SQL Server work and with so many cores it seems like having a VM running my web site might
make sense.