[AccessD] [dba-VB] hosting a website in-house

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 29 18:26:20 CDT 2010

That is wrong Stewart.

I have been hosting a web site or two for over 10 years and unless it is
getting hit by 100 plus sessions the impact is low. Mind you, when you start
having 100K hits then you are right.

After the website is set up the administration costs in time and effort are
low. Traditionally, unless the website is under heavy utilization
maintenance is nothing... it just runs itself.

Running your own IIS or Apache server does not imply being hit with spam or
a security risk...that is what routers are for.

As for costs of a stand-alone server, you can just use an old beater,
running Linux... for any details post the question on the VB List as my
son-in-law, who is now on that list, as he is the senior tech for a huge
website business and can give you the skinny on how to cheaply build your
own small hosting with all the bell and whistles.

I would say host your own. It is a lot of fun to set up and run. Even my
daughters can setup their own servers...so it just goes to show that real
men and women roll their own. ;-)

Jim