[AccessD] .NET Access Replacement -- Was: Access doldrums??

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 12:02:30 CDT 2010

I watched the whole presentation - about 53 minutes.  LightSwitch (LS) looks
like it's worth watching carefully.

LS will be a part of VS 2010 - another option to create applications.  This
does look like it could easily be used to create a minor application by
proficient departmental person.  If it then needs to be significantly
upgraded, a developer can easily take over since it's already in VS.

This could be a business model for an independent VS developer, or it could
work within a company.  The point they made a few times was that good apps
that would have been initially written in Access or Sharepoint by
departmental personnel, won't then need to be completely rewritten in VS
if/when the need arises.  I'm in this exact situation with 2 of my customers
now.

>From MS's perspective, I think that they are looking for more Azure cloud
usage, for which they receive recurring payment/profit, and they might get
more people to begin using VS.

Take a look at the presentation video - most of it is time spent in VS
creating an app.

Any thoughts?
Dan