[AccessD] Preparing Database for Web

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Dec 13 13:20:16 CST 2010

Access is more than capable of running as a backend to a web
application... IF you put the .mdb on the web server itself.  When done
that way, it'll run as fast or faster than a SQL Server, and will never
have corruption issues.  (Unless you also access it with Access from
across a network, then corruption may still occur).

I have lots of web based systems that use an Access .mdb for the back
end.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of David Emerson
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:00 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [AccessD] Preparing Database for Web

Team,

I have a customer who want a simple database created which will
ultimately be hooked up to a web interface (Order screen for fabric
samples, and tracking screen to show status of order).

I still need to sit down with them to work out the likely number of
records, simultaneous users etc (which I am doing tomorrow).

Currently their databases are all Access.  Assuming the size of the
new database will be well within Access limits, is Access  suitably
robust for web applications, or should I start off with SQL?

I will be getting someone else to do the web side of things but want
to make sure that I make it as easy as possible (read cheap) for them.

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand