[AccessD] Office API's

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Dec 14 09:47:20 CST 2010

Here's two odd balls that are handy when you need to know the
environment you're in:

Get OS type:

Private Declare Function GetVersionEx Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetVersionExA" (lpVersionInformation As OSVERSIONINFO) As Long
Private Declare Function GetVersionEx2 Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetVersionExA" (lpVersionInformation As OSVERSIONINFOEX) As Long
Private Type OSVERSIONINFO
  intOSVersionInfoSize As Long
  intMajorVersion As Long
  intMinorVersion As Long
  intBuildNumber As Long
  intPlatformId As Long
  strCSDVersion As String * 128
End Type
Private Type OSVERSIONINFOEX
  intOSVersionInfoSize As Long
  intMajorVersion As Long
  intMinorVersion As Long
  intBuildNumber As Long
  intPlatformId As Long
  strCSDVersion As String * 128
  intServicePackMajor As Integer
  intServicePackMinor As Integer
  intSuiteMask As Integer
  bytProductType As Byte
  bytReserved As Byte
End Type

Check if it's a laptop:

Private Declare Function GetCurrentHwProfile Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias
"GetCurrentHwProfileW" (ByRef lpHwProfileInfo As HW_PROFILE_INFO) As
Long
Private Const DOCKINFO_DOCKED = (&H2)
Private Const DOCKINFO_UNDOCKED = (&H1)
Private Const HW_PROFILE_GUIDLEN = 39
Private Const MAX_PROFILE_LEN = 80
Private Type HW_PROFILE_INFO
    intDockInfo As Long
    strProfileGUID As String * HW_PROFILE_GUIDLEN
    strProfileName As String * MAX_PROFILE_LEN
End Type
dim blLaptop As Boolean

Private Function CheckIfLaptop()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
Dim blTemp1 As Boolean
Dim blTemp2 As Boolean
Dim dwReturn As Long
Dim hwProfile As HW_PROFILE_INFO
blLaptop = False
dwReturn = GetCurrentHwProfile(hwProfile)
If dwReturn <> 0 Then
    blTemp1 = hwProfile.intDockInfo And 1
    blTemp2 = hwProfile.intDockInfo And 2
    If blTemp1 <> blTemp2 Then blLaptop = True
End If
Exit Function

ErrorHandler:
Err.Clear