[AccessD] The old laptop is slowing down

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Dec 24 11:40:57 CST 2010

It is sad and somewhat annoying when the laptop starts slowing down.  Is it just perception?  Am I
accustomed now to remote desktop into faster machines and working in snappier systems?  Is it an
accumulation of crap?  Do I need a reinstall?  Maybe a move from Vista to Windows 7, with a clean
install along the way?  An SSD?

All I know is that things don't load fast any more.  Even doing compiles on VS 2008 is a "sit and
wait" experience.

I think I really need a new quad core Intel (bad John, BAD John!) iXXX core running Windows 7 X64
and 16 gigs of ram, all on a 512 G SSD running the latest Sandforce (who makes up these names?)
controller.  It is Christmas after all!

Now to convince the wife!